Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Six More Weeks of Winter

Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today! That’s right, Happy Groundhog’s Day, everyone! This morning the great Punxsutawney Phil, seer of seers, sage of sages, prognosticator of prognosticators, and weather prophet extraordinary, reportedly saw his shadow. That means six more weeks of winter weather, if you believe that sort of rot.

Cake makes six more weeks of
winter go down easier.

Coincidentally, back at Dave’s Home, the local grocery store had a sale on single layer cakes. That’s reason enough to celebrate in my book, so we bought a cake for after our dinner feast of roast beast, leftover chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and broccoli. The potatoes were from scratch! (I felt like cooking this evening.)

Seeing Phil on the news this morning made me think of another movie favorite of mine -- Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. The opening line in this post came from that movie. I don’t have it in my DVD library, yet, but I hope to some day.

P.S. We didn’t read from Stuart Little tonight because the kids took such a long time showering, but tomorrow I’ll try some of the suggestions about empathy sent in by readers. (Referring to yesterday’s post.)

A mere photo fails to capture the true excitement
of a large squirrel predicting the weather.