Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Ask Dave Question #6

Carol wrote to me, "I am a volunteer CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) in Clark County in Washington State. Does your county have CASAs (also known as GAL--Guardian ad Litem)?"

Yes, my county has (or at least had) CASAs for foster children.  I remember a couple of them specifically, and that the kids always enjoyed their time together.  It's terrific, Carol, that you have chosen to volunteer to help these children!  Interestingly, not all the kids placed with me have had a CASA assigned. I don’t know why this is. The foster care system often works in mysterious ways. Also, now that you mention it, I don’t think I have heard from a CASA at all in quite a while. This service may have fallen victim to budget cuts.