Friday, November 6, 2009

Mount Diablo Camping

Ever since I was a kid I liked camping. Now I live a hop skip and a jump from Mt. Diablo, a 4,000 foot high state park with views that are claimed to be second only to Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa!

Over the summer I took my boys and one of Tracy’s kids on an overnight camping trip near the top of this mountain. We pitched tents, cooked over a camp fire, and roasted marshmallows. The next day we hiked to the top of the mountain where there is a museum and lighthouse. Then on the way back down we stopped at a place called Rock City where there are a lot of wind caves hollowed out of the sandstone rocks. The kids had a blast climbing up, around and into all these rocks.













Wind caves in Rock City

(This is one of a series of posts about vacations, and also short trips, that I have taken with my foster children.  Click HERE to view the previous post in this series.)