Thursday, October 1, 2009

Why Did I Become a Foster Parent? (Part 2)

(This is a continuation of a previous post.  Click HERE to see this previous post.)

After a few years the adult relationships broke down, and our two families went their separate ways. When this happened, for the first time in my life, I had feelings of loss from not being around a child. Around this time someone suggested I look into the Big Brother program. This is a mentoring program designed to help disadvantaged youths, hopefully keep them out of trouble and make them better adults. This seemed like a worthy program and a good way for me to put my new-found kid skills to use, and fill the void I felt in my heart.

The process to become a Big Brother is very similar to becoming a foster parent. For example, there is a lengthy application process including fingerprinting and reference checks. Eventually I was approved and matched with my first, and what would turn out to be my last, “Little Brother”.

Click HERE to view the next in this series of posts.