Monday, October 12, 2009

Home Automation – Part 2

My previous post on this topic was mostly about controlling lights. (Click HERE to view that post.) Another really good home automation improvement is biometric door locks. These are locks that open using fingerprints. The reason this is so neat is that there are no keys to lose or combination codes to forget. Before switching to biometric locks I can’t tell you how many times a kid got locked out, or I had to change out the keys on my doors!



The lock I presently use is from BioAxxis. (Click HERE to view their web site.) I think it’s a pretty slick looking lock, and it operates reliably when programmed correctly. One of the tricks I learned was that a person’s fingerprint must be registered multiple times, not just once. Otherwise it may take several tries to get the door opened, which is kind of frustrating.